Gegham M. Asatryan was born in Yerevan in 1920. In 1939 he graduated from the Yerevan Art College. That year he joined the Army and took part in the Second World War. In 1945 after disarmament he entered the Yerevan Art Institute and in 1951 with excellent grades he graduated it and was invited to teach at the Art Institute. Since 1952 G. Asatryan took part in many Art Exhibitions.
In 1959 the newly established Armenian TV studio invited Asatryan to work as a stage designer. During many years he designed more than 200 performances in many theatres and films.
In 1967 he was honored as Master Artist in Armenia.
G. Asatryan died in Yerevan in 1995 december 16.
Being the person excessively exacting to himself, he didn't like to represent the pictorial works. After his death his works have been exhibited in Central House of Artist of Armenia in 1996, 2004 and 2011. The artist's works are preserved at the Art archives of Armenian Ministry of Culture and also in private collections in many countries.